When disaster strikes, the best protection is knowing
what to do. Once you're lost or an emergency
happens then it's too
late to check your resources. It's best to become familiar and have proper
Basic Survival Skills
Fire - Shelter - Food/Water - Signaling - First Aid
- Helps purify water, supplies heat and rescues
work in wind or rain - Best Option/
- Protection from the elements
Emergency bags - Mylar Sleeping Bags
- Excellent source for variety of needs. Protecting against foul weather.
To - Perfect structure against harsh weather.
- Purify water from lakes, ponds or streams
* Use water purification tablets
* Pouring 5 drops of 2% tincture of iodine in clean water
10 drops in cloudy water
* Boil Water (1 minute)
* Commercial drinking device (Filter)
Signaling - In rescue the idea is to be seen or
* Signal mirror & whistle are 2 best options because no need for
batteries ...of course 2 way
radio or cell phone.
* Chem Lights 12 hour
Aid Kit - A well stocked 1st aid kit will help
in emergencies, also a survival kit is a nice backup.
- Hold the compass level in the palm of your hand near your
chest, with the direction arrow facing away from body.
- Turn the housing so the N is lined up with the red end of the
- Turn the housing so the E is lined up with the direction of
travel arrow. Now you're ready to use the compass.
Fun activity a try - Pick up four stones or
twigs to use as markers.
- Place a marker where you are standing.
- Turn the housing on the compass so that N (north) lines up
with the direction arrow.
- Hold the compass level in the palm of your hand, chest high,
with the direction arrow facing away from your body.
- Turn your whole body, including your feet, until the red
magnetic needle lines up with the orienting arrow on the dial.
- Look up. Choose a landmark, like a rock, tree or sign which is
exactly ahead of you in the distance.
- Take six steps toward that spot without looking at the
compass. Stop. Place a marker here.
- Turn the housing on the compass so that W (west) lines up with
the direction arrow. Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5.
- Turn the housing on the compass so that S (south) lines up
with the direction arrow. Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5.
- Turn the dial on the compass so that E (east) lines up with
the direction arrow.
Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5.
Did you return to your first marker?
Go back and walk to each marker. What shape
did you make? You should have made a square.
Symptoms of Hyperthermia
occurs when the body is exposed to cold temperatures and the body loses
heat faster the the body can generate heat to stay warm.
Cold pale or
blue gray skin
Lack of interest
unsteadiness in balance or walking Poor Judgment
Numb hands and
Late Symptoms include:
Breathing becomes shallow
Trunk of body is cold
Weakness and sleepiness
Loss of consciousness
serious. Treatment for mild hypothermia includes getting out of the
cold and using warm blankets, heaters and
warm fluids to
regain body temperature. Never use any heating element that would burn the
skin. Moderate to severe
treated in the hospital