First Aid Kit
Survival - Click
Whether you're choosing a pre-assembled First Aid kit or building your own, make sure
you carry the supplies that match your trip plans.
- the number of people participating
- your tripís duration
- the strenuousness and potential dangers inherent in your route
- the distance you must travel to reach medical assistance
Things you should have:
- Two pairs of Latex, or other sterile gloves (if you are
allergic to Latex).
- Sterile dressings to stop bleeding.
- Cleansing agent/soap and antibiotic towelettes to
- Antibiotic ointment to prevent infection.
- Burn ointment to prevent infection.
- Adhesive bandages in a variety of sizes.
- Eye wash solution to flush the eyes or as general
- Prescription medications you take every day such as
insulin, heart medicine and asthma inhalers. You should periodically
rotate medicines to account for expiration dates.
- Prescribed medical supplies such as glucose and blood
pressure monitoring equipment and supplies.
Things it may be good to have:
- Cell Phone
- Tube of petroleum jelly or other lubricant
- Aspirin or nonaspirin pain reliever
- Anti-diarrhea medication
- Antacid (for upset stomach)
Every first-aid kit should include:
- A manual: a comprehensive, easy-to-follow first-aid instruction
booklet that clearly explains how to handle basic problems
- Basic bandages: assorted adhesive bandages, athletic tape and
- Basic drugs/lotions: aspirin, antiseptic, antacid tablets,
sunscreen and any prescription medicines
- Basic first-aid tools: tweezers, a small mirror, razor blade or
- Miscellaneous items: bee-sting kit, venom-extraction pump (if
visiting rattlesnake territory), handy wipes, plastic gloves and eye pads
For long trips and difficult routes, you may wish to include a larger selection
of items such as:
- Additional bandages: gauze pads, ace bandages and butterfly
- Additional drugs/lotions: burn ointment and Caladryl (for relief of
- Additional first-aid tools: sling, basic splint, forceps, instant
ice pack and thermometer
Additional items depend on your specific needs.
Box 611, Londonderry,